Do you love being a Member of the Littleton Food Co-op?
Do you have a vision and a passion for building and advancing a cooperatively-owned local business?
If you answered yes to these questions, we think you’d be an excellent Board Member!
The Co-op’s Board of Directors consists of nine Members elected by the general Co-op Membership. Board terms are three years, and this year there are four positions open on our Board of Directors. Responsibilities and expectations for Members serving on the Littleton Food Co-op Board of Directors are outlined here.
This year’s Board Elections will be held from April 30 through May 15, 2021, with opportunities before and during the election to promote yourself to our community. Applications will be accepted until March 15, 2021.
To apply, please complete the following steps:
- Submit your Application. You may pick up a print application packet at the Customer Service Desk, or complete the form online. You will be asked to answer some questions, and submit a photo of yourself. You should also become familiar with the election process, our Bylaws, and the Board expectations outlined on this page.
- Connect with the Board Election Committee. After you’ve filled out the application, please email us to discuss your application and any questions you may have about being a member of the Board.
- Attend a Board Meeting. In order to gain an understanding of what our Board does, we strongly encourage candidates to attend a Board of Directors Meeting at some point prior to the election. The next meetings will be held on February 15 and March 22 @ 5pm, via Zoom. You are welcome to attend either meeting, even if you’re unsure about running. Please RSVP to confirm your attendance.
- Tell us about Yourself. We want to be sure that our Members get to know you so they can make an informed decision when they vote! We do this a few different ways: via print, social media, video, articles in our print magazine, and a virtual Candidate Night Q&A event. Along with your completed application, you’ll be asked to submit a quality photo, a short bio, and a brief video.
Please contact a Member of the Board Nomination Committee for guidance or answers to questions/concerns. Thank you!
Deb Rossetti-Sullivan, Matt Whiton, Stephanie Bournival, & Jim Moore
Serving on the Board can be rewarding and fun, but it’s also important. Littleton Food Co-op’s Board of Directors plays a critical role in representing the Co-op’s Members in developing and maintaining the vision and long-term viability of the Cooperative.
Members of the Board are expected to:
- Represent the entire Co-op Membership, not just a single constituency.
- Serve a full three-year term.
- Make a good-faith effort to attend all monthly Board Meetings and retreats, including our Annual Meeting.
- Dedicate 10-25 hours per month (as needed) to digest Board materials & reports, review previous months’ minutes, attend Co-op events, Board events, sub-committee meetings, trainings, and retreats.
- Attend 2-3 conferences or training sessions annually, either virtual or in-person. We recommend Columinate’s Cooperative Board Leadership 101.
- Serve on one or more Board or Joint Board/Staff Co-op Committees to help govern the Co-op.
- Provide regular, lucid, input during Board Meetings and group digital (including email) communications.
- Accept and abide by the Board’s Decisions.
- Read and Understand the Co-op’s Bylaws.
- Understand the Co-op’s Governance and Business Model.
Being a Board Member
Full Membership (four or more shares) affords you the privilege of being a Board Candidate as well as the right to vote in Littleton Food Co-op elections.
What to Expect
Board Meetings are interesting, informative and fun! Our Management Team & Staff provide us with knowledge and data that is through-and-through extensive. Each meeting will include (but is not limited to): Weekly Sales Figures, Monthly Financial Summaries, Updates on active Marketing Initiative(s) and goings-on, an Education Piece presented each week by you or another of your peers on the Board of Directors, Occasional Guest Speakers, and a General Manager’s Report — the last of which may include reports from other Cooperative Association Meetings (both regional and national) that our General Manager attends. Our Board Meetings are open to Employees and Member-owners, who may attend at their discretion.
Our Board’s diverse background contributes to a stronger ability to govern democratically and holistically. All life experiences are valuable. Input at our monthly meetings is encouraged and can determine the direction that the rest of the board will support and vote on.
Columinate Consulting Cooperative
Columinate provides guidance and resources via board retreats and training sessions. There is a wealth of information to rely upon. Board members are encouraged to attend workshops, events and Coop Cafes, which will strengthen your knowledge, good faith and neighborly relationships.
We Own a Grocery Store (with some Friends)
Littleton Food Co-op is unique and outstanding in its field! Being a contributing part of our cooperative is not only about turning a profit — it’s about health and wellness, supporting local farmers, protecting our planet, competitive pricing, sustainability, education, and community involvement.
2021 Electoral Timeline
February 1, 2021
Candidate Packets Available for Potential Candidates in-store at the Customer Service Desk and online.
February 22, 2021
Littleton Food Co-op Board of Directors Meeting @ 5 PM via Zoom. Please RSVP to Deb (email@example.com) if you’re planning on attending.
March 15, 2021
Completed Applications for Potential Candidates due by 11:59 PM.
March 22, 2021
Littleton Food Co-op Board of Directors Meeting @ 5 PM via Zoom. Please RSVP to Deb (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’re planning on attending.
March 30, 2021
Videos due to the Marketing Department: email@example.com
April 23, 2021
The Spring Issue of our Biannual Newsletter, the Radish, is released in-store and online. Candidate Bios & Photos will be included in this issue.
April 26, 2021
Littleton Food Co-op Board of Directors Audit Presentation. Please RSVP to Deb (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’d like to attend.
April 30, 2021
Voting Begins in-store and online. To Vote (1) Must have a Full Littleton Food Co-op Membership of 4 or more shares. (2) Each Membership may only vote once.
May 5, 2021
Candidate Night! This live virtual Q&A session gives Members the opportunity to “meet” the Candidates and ask questions. (Time and details TBD)
May 13, 2021
Littleton Food Co-op Annual Meeting will be held online. (Time and details TBD)
May 15, 2021
May 20, 2021
The new Board Members are officially announced.