If you love good food and building community, and you’d would like to help our Cooperative thrive and grow, then consider running for a seat on our Board of Directors. Serving on the Board can be rewarding and fun, but it’s also important. Littleton Food Co-op’s Board plays a critical role in representing the Co-op’s Members, by developing and maintaining the vision and long-term viability of the Cooperative.
The Co-op Board consists of nine Members elected by our voting Members. Each term is three years, and every year we elect (or re-elect) three Board Directors. Responsibilities and expectations for those serving on the Littleton Food Co-op Board of Directors are outlined further down the page.
Applications to become a Candidate in our annual Board Election are open year-round, but most of the preparation for our election happens in March and April. The Board Election itself happens in late April and early May each year.
Applications are due each year on March 10. During our March Board Meeting, the Board of Directors will review the list of potential candidates and approve the final slate, and then Board Elections will be held in late April and early May. There will be opportunities before and during the election to promote yourself to our community, and we’re happy to help!
We look forward to meeting you! If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us via email@example.com.
To apply, please complete the following steps:
- Submit a completed application online, or pick up a print application at the Service Desk. Please put your best foot forward! Include all of your contact information, and complete all of the questions. The Board will review your application, and we will also share your answers with our community to help them get to know you.
- Attend at least one upcoming Board Meeting. You may also read previous meeting minutes here.
- Review the Bylaws and the policies that govern our Cooperative, which are available here.
- Newly elected Board Directors must sign a Media Release as well as a Disclosure of Conflict of Interest, on or before their term begins.
- Newly elected Board Directors must attend the Columinate Virtual Cooperative Board Leadership Development 101 seminar to learn about our Governance and Leadership policies.
Being a Board Director is a serious commitment, but it has many great rewards as well!
Members of the Board are expected to:
- Own four or more shares (a Full Membership) in our cooperative.
- Represent the entire Co-op Membership, not just a single constituency.
- Serve a full three-year term.
- Make a good-faith effort to attend all monthly Board Meetings and retreats, including our Annual Meeting.
- Dedicate 10-25 hours per month (as needed) to digest Board materials & reports, review previous months’ minutes, attend Littleton Food Co-op events, as well as Board events, sub-committee meetings, trainings, and retreats.
- Attend the Columinate Virtual Cooperative Board Leadership Development 101 seminar to learn about our Governance and Leadership policies.
- Attend additional conferences or training sessions annually, either virtual or in-person.
- Serve on one or more Board or Joint Board/Staff Co-op Committees to help govern the Co-op.
- Provide regular, lucid, input during Board Meetings and group digital (including email) communications.
- Accept and abide by the Board’s Decisions.
- Accept fiduciary responsibilities as a Board Director; ie act in the best interest of the Co-op’s assets.
- Read and Understand the Co-op’s Bylaws.
- Understand the Co-op’s Governance and Business Model.
Being a Board Director
You must be a Full Member (own four or more shares) to be a Board Director. We do not require Full Membership to be a Candidate; however, upon being elected, you will need to purchase the necessary shares.
What to Expect
Board Meetings are interesting, informative and fun! Our Management Team & Staff provide us with knowledge and data that is through-and-through extensive. Each meeting will include (but is not limited to): Weekly Sales Figures, Monthly Financial Summaries, Updates on active Marketing Initiative(s) and goings-on, an Education Piece presented each month by you or another of your peers on the Board of Directors, Occasional Guest Speakers, and a General Manager’s Report — the last of which may include reports from other Cooperative Association Meetings (both regional and national) that our General Manager attends. Our Board Meetings are open to Employees and Member-owners, who may attend at their discretion.
Our Board’s diverse background contributes to a stronger ability to govern democratically and holistically. All life experiences are valuable. Input at our monthly meetings is encouraged and can determine the direction that the rest of the board will support and vote on.
Columinate Consulting Cooperative
Columinate provides guidance and resources via board retreats and training sessions. There is a wealth of information to draw from. Board Directors are encouraged to attend workshops, events and Co-op Cafes, which will strengthen your knowledge, good faith, and neighborly relationships.
We Own a Grocery Store (with some Friends)
Littleton Food Co-op is unique and outstanding in its field! Being a contributing part of our cooperative is not only about turning a profit — it’s about health and wellness, supporting local farmers, protecting our planet, competitive pricing, sustainability, education, and community involvement.
2024 Electoral Timeline
Board Candidate Applications due.
The spring edition of The Radish, our store magazine, will be published. This will include candidate and election information.
April Board Meeting & Financial Audit Presentation. The audit begins at 4pm; the regular meeting starts at 5pm. Candidates are encouraged to attend. RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org
Voting for our Annual Board Election begins.
Annual Meeting. Presentation by Board, GM, & Senior Management, and Candidate Meet & Greet. Candidates strongly encouraged to attend. RSVP: email@example.com
Voting for our Annual Board Election ends at 11:59pm.
New Board Members are announced.
TBA. May Board Meeting at 5PM. New Board Directors must attend.